Frequently Asked Questions
Will my child(ren) be able to participate in athletics/activities this year?
Will we be able to hold monthly Parent Association meetings at school?
Physical face-to-face meetings will be postponed because we are limiting the number of nonessential individuals in school buildings. However, they can take place virtually.
How will field trips and guest speaker opportunities take place?
Teachers will work through a collaborative process to provide experiential learning through virtual trips and may use online guest speakers to enhance the learning process. Unfortunately, all overnight and out-of-town field trips will be postponed until further notice.
Will the district allow spectators to attend games, competitions and/or performances?
Ladue Schools will review recommendations from national, state and local health organizations while prioritizing the safety of students, staff and families. It is likely that limited numbers of spectators will be allowed to attend games, competitions and performances. It is also possible that some sports and activities will be able to compete and perform while others will not. Restrictions concerning these events will be determined by state and national organizations. School officials will communicate that information as it becomes available.
Additional requirements may be in place during competitions or performances:
- Essential personnel only will be allowed near students during games and competitions. Those individuals will maintain social distancing when possible.
- Players on the sideline may be required to socially distance when not in the game.
- Multiple shows may be necessary in order to ensure proper social distancing while performing (band, choir, orchestra, theater).
- Staff, students and spectators will only have access to the necessary areas of the building. Access to other areas of the building will be restricted. Commonly-touched surfaces like water fountains and restroom areas will be cleaned before, during and after the event.
- Reminders will be posted at entryways to not enter the school if experiencing signs of illness.
- Live streaming services will be offered for events when possible.
What actions will be taken if a student or coach/sponsor tests positive for COVID-19?
- We will communicate with the individuals and families and ask them not to return to our campuses until 72 hours have passed without symptoms and 14 days have passed since symptoms first appeared. Staff and trainers will communicate with families to ensure adherence to this expectation.
- We will identify staff and students who may have been in contact with the individual. Those individuals may be asked not to return to campus for 14 days. If at that point the individual(s) have not shown any signs or symptoms of COVID-19, they may return to campus. If it can be traced to limited individuals or no contact was made, that team can continue to practice.
- If a student that tested positive has been in contact with multiple members of the team, it may require postponement for that team or group for a specified amount of time.
- Trainers and staff will monitor students for signs and symptoms. Students with any symptoms of COVID-19 or other illnesses may be asked to not return until 72 hours have passed without symptoms and 14 days have passed since symptoms first appeared or until cleared by the St. Louis County Department of Public Health. Staff and trainers will communicate with families to ensure adherence to this expectation.
- Staff members who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 may be asked to not return to that activity until 72 hours have passed without symptoms and 14 days have passed since symptoms first appeared or until cleared by a doctor. Certified contact tracers and guidance from the STLCDoPH will be utilized to help identify others that may have come in contact with the individual who tests positive.
Additional measures may be required if a student or staff member is infected that may include, but are not limited to:
- Requiring that group participate in only socially-distant, non-sport specific activity.
- Restricting the group from practicing on campus or for an extended period of time.
What changes should high school student-athletes expect?
high school student-athletes expect?
All participants must have a completed parent permission waiver of liability on file and adhere to all safety precautions outlined in the Ladue School Resocialization of High School Athletics document to help mitigate risk. Once the waiver has been submitted, Ladue Schools will provide students the opportunity to participate based on guidance from local health care experts and the Missouri State High School Activities Association.
While the district would like to offer these opportunities, we will prioritize the health and safety of students and staff by adhering to the CDC and STLCDoPH recommendations. We understand that as we abide by those recommendations, some, if not all, of those opportunities may be limited to the extent to which they can be provided.
Additionally, the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA) may provide further guidelines on how athletics and activities will be offered at district high schools and middle schools. As a district, we understand the importance of offering these opportunities to our students and will continue to make every effort to do so. However, we know there may be decisions made by local, state or national organizations that may prohibit some, if not all, extracurricular activities from taking place.
To the extent possible, we expect all athletics and activities that can be performed in accordance with CDC and STLCDoPH recommendations will be available for student participation. Students will complete a short health questionnaire prior to daily participation in all after-school activities. Staff will communicate with students when necessary to determine whether the student should be participating.
- Pending further guidance from state and local health officials, to the extent possible, Ladue Schools will adhere to the most current recommendations concerning social distancing, gathering size and personal protective equipment (PPE) for students and staff at the time of the extracurricular opportunity.
- Commonly-touched surfaces will be avoided when possible. Those surfaces and/or objects will be disinfected before and after use when avoidance is not possible.
- Locker rooms will be disinfected and commonly-touched surfaces in locker rooms will be cleaned throughout the day.